This year TrueCity is again working with Start2Finish to provide backpacks to over 1000 students in the Hamilton Catholic and Public School systems. This opportunity allows many of us to vitally connect to local schools and grants us meaningful volunteer opportunities to care for some of the most impoverished students in the city of Hamilton.
Here’s how you can help:
In the past churches have taken up offerings for the backpack initiative or given funds from their church budgets. Donations can be dropped off to Hughson Street Baptist Church or cheques can be mailed to 1295 North Service Road Burlington, ON L7R 4M2 — cheques can be made out to Start2Finish, put Hamilton Backpack Initiative in the memo line.
PACK AND DISTRIBUTE BACKPACKS — All Tasks are being held at Jackson Square Mall —
- Friday, August 9th–Unloading Supplies
- Monday, August 12th–Preparing for packing
- Tuesday, August 13th–Packing Supplies
- Wednesday, August 28th–Delivering to schools
*Delivery to Schools: Ideally we need volunteers from each of the churches close to schools they are connected with. If your church has a connection with any of the schools listed below and would like to deliver the backpacks to that school let us know: Adelaide Hoodless, Cathy Wever, Roxborough Park, Dr. Davey, Elizabeth Bagshaw, Helen Detwiler, Hess Street School, Lake Avenue, Sir Wilfrid Laurier, Bennetto School, Prince of Wales Elementary School, Queen Victoria, Hillcrest, Richard Beasley
WHAT TO DO NOW?
1) give her the primary contact information for the backpack initiative from your church
2) tell her if you can help raise funds for the initiative
3) tell her when and how many volunteers we might expect from your church